loader

Understanding Community Standards

What are Community Standards?

Community Standards outline what is and is not allowed on Facebook.

These policies are based on feedback from our community and the advice of experts in fields such as technology, public safety and human rights.

Community Standards are written to ensure that everyone’s voice is valued and Facebook takes great care to craft policies that are inclusive of different views and beliefs- in particular those of people and communities that might otherwise be overlooked or marginalized.

Why is this important for my community?

Being committed to maintaining communities as a safe place where meaningful connections happen is paramount. Communities created for hate or harassment have no place on Facebook.

It is important for Communities to remain a safe space for people to connect. Communities are proactively monitored for hate speech and calls for violence using a combination of the latest technology and human review. If there is a Community found like this, it is taken down and if necessary, the authorities are alerted.

Posts that violate Community Standards on things like hate speech are removed and we remove any groups that consistently violate those standards. This enforcement policy ensures that when reviewing a group to decide whether or not to take it down, we now look at admin and moderator content for violations including posts by members that they have approved. This also applies to your chats – admins can earn personal and group strikes from chat names, descriptions, or messages in the chats they have written. However, admins and groups will not get strikes from messages/content from members. Read more about how Community Standards impacts Community Chats.

Members who repeatedly post violating content may be required to have all their future posts approved by admins before they can be seen in the community.

tips

Community Standards can be used in your community to help build your rules and as a reference tool for members

Where can I find Community Standards?

You can find the full Community Standards list here.

How can I use it in my community?

Community Standards can be used in your community to help build your rules and as a reference tool for members. You can link to the page if members are in violation of these standards and remind them of enforcement policies if needed.

You can also check your Community Quality in your Admin Tools section. Read more about Community Quality here.

What can I do if my community is taken down mistakenly?

Upon logging into Facebook, you will immediately see if your community has been disabled and have one chance to request a review of your community to get it restored. You can request a review either from your mobile device or desktop.

Community Standards are written to ensure that everyone's voice is valued and that communities remain a safe place where meaningful connections can happen.

Related tips from admins